In the kitchen, the cabinets form the backbone and set the tone for the entire space. Homeowners looking to complete a successful Fullerton, CA kitchen remodel need to focus closely on their cabinet choices. This quick guide should help point you in the right direction.
Rule #1: Out with the Cheap
Absolutely no particle board cabinets. On that note, no melamine (coated particle board). Homeowners replacing their cabinets need to invest in high-quality options.
Styles and Trends in 2018
First, know that base cabinets will get the most visual attention. Why? The hanging wall cabinets will be aligned with other aesthetic features like windows and backsplashes, so they’ll blend more into the space, while the base cabinets will stand out as focal points—especially those included in a kitchen island. That said, here are the current trends in kitchen remodels for 2018:
- Height is everything. Today, hanging wall cabinets should extend to the ceiling. Visually, when features extend high, the eye is drawn upward, which creates more grandeur. This is especially important for smaller kitchens—they benefit from the enlarged look.
- Storage that makes sense. There is a huge emphasis on functionality in the kitchen. Most people, these days, work long hours and need to come home to efficiency—especially when it comes to preparing the family home-cooked meals. There should be enough storage to house all contraptions, flatware, pots, pans, and other cooking utensils. Cabinetry needs to be spacious, accessible, and laid out in the floorplan smartly.
- Drawers in place of base cabinets. Modern kitchens are moving away from base cabinets with doors and more toward large drawers. Don’t worry; if you prefer the look of doors, base cabinet drawers can be customized to look like doors.
- Soft-close option. Get rid of slammed drawers and doors with this customization, as it allows for quiet, smooth operation.
- Exotic woods. Why not follow a path less traveled and choose alternative wood options, such as bamboo, mahogany, or Anaglade? They’re stunning.
- Beadboard. This cabinet style has recessed lines which run from the top of the cabinet to the bottom. The simple geometric pattern matches virtually any kitchen and have become very popular. These are also known as “tongue and groove” cabinets and “v-groove.”
Hardware Options and Small Details
The hardware is just as important as the cabinet choices, and so are the small details. Here are a few suggestions:
- Lazy Susans save the day. For corner cabinets with deep wells, a Lazy Susan will help to maintain efficiency.
- Brass accents. Long, slim brass drawer pulls are becoming widely popular in modern kitchens. They lend themselves well to farmhouse styles, as well.
- Dresser pulls. Think outside the box—or kitchen—and consider bedroom dresser-like drawer pulls. This choice looks especially good in cottage and country chic style kitchens.
- Exposed, oversized hinges. For a craftsman style kitchen, check out oil-rubbed or bronzed selections.
Let the professionals at Kitchen Cabinets & Beyond help you with your Mission Viejo, CA kitchen remodeling project. We would love to show you our high-quality cabinet options here at our showroom, located at 2910 E La Palma Ave Ste B, Anaheim, CA 92806. Further, we can help you from floor to ceiling with our flooring, countertop, and lighting fixtures for a completely new look in your space. Call us at (714) 630-0477 soon!