If you’re preparing to upgrade a thing or two in your Laguna Beach, CA home—start with the kitchen. After all, it is the central focus of the entire house and the place you likely gather most often with family and friends. But, before you get started, the team here at Kitchen Cabinets & Beyond wants to keep you from making silly mistakes that can turn into BIG headaches. Check out these experts “no-no’s!”
DO NOT begin without a plan
To achieve your ideal kitchen, you simply have to have a solid plan in place. To do this, you need to partner with an expert, so you don’t get hung up on tiny details or plow ahead before you’re ready. A good plan looks like this:
- A clear vision: most homeowners know what they want as an end result; make sure you do. You need to be able to “see” what you want in your mind and communicate that to your design and installation crew (if applicable).
- Make a “pros vs. cons” list: you should know exactly what you do and do not like about your kitchen as it is now. This list is a natural starting place for your design and installation professionals.
- Set goals: sometimes, remodeling an entire space just isn’t doable all at once. That’s ok! That’s the case for most homeowners more often than not. Making a list of all of your goals—big (like the kitchen cabinets) or small (like the color of your hand towels)—will help keep you on track.
DO NOT set an unrealistic budget
One of the most important decisions you’ll make is how much to spend. Do not—I repeat, do NOT—begin a remodel project of any size, in any room, for any reason without a clear budget. Without this, you will struggle to determine whether you’re making good decisions and investing wisely. Here are two tips to help you set a reasonable remodel budget:
- Budget = a certain percentage of the home’s overall value. In general, a kitchen remodel is the most expensive of all the rooms you could choose to redo. Plan to budget about 20% of your home’s overall value. Of course, you can budget less. Most of this cost is driven by replacement kitchen cabinets, flooring, and/or countertops.
- Carve out a buffer. You need a cushion in case something doesn’t go smoothly. It would be foolish to plan to spend all of your budget without preparing for some sort of unforeseen expense. From the total budget amount, set aside 15-20% of it (or, an additional 15-20%, if you wish); this will be your “wiggle room.”
DO NOT get impatient
Impatience throughout a remodeling process will only make you miserable. It could also cause you to cut corners and make impulsive decisions. Take each step in stride and take your time to select the right features for your space. Once the installation is underway—the process will move very quickly!
We can’t wait to work with you on your kitchen remodeling in Laguna Beach, CA project! Come visit us here at Kitchen Cabinets & Beyond so we can help you to create a plan, set a budget, and breeze through your upgrade!
Kitchen Cabinets & Beyond | 2910 E La Palma Ave Ste B | Anaheim, CA 92806 | 714-630-0477